Draupadi Murmu will be the new President of the country. In the third round of counting of votes held on Thursday, she crossed the figures required for victory. She will be sworn in on 25 July. With this, the country will get the first tribal and second female president. With the swearing -in, Murmu will mark six big records.
First let us know about Murmu
Draupadi was born on 20 June 1958 in Baidposi village of Mayurganj district of Odisha. Draupadi belongs to the tribal ethnic group Santhal. Her father’s name was Biranchi Narayan Tudu, a farmer. Draupadi has two brothers, Bhagat Tudu and Saraini Tudu.
Draupadi was married to Shyamacharan Murmu. She had two sons and two daughters. In 1984, a daughter died. Draupadi’s childhood was spent in extreme lack and poverty. But she did not let her situation come in the way of her hard work. She completed her graduation from Ramadevi Women’s College in Bhubaneswar. Draupadi Murmu became a teacher to teach the daughter.
She also served as a junior assistant in the irrigation and electricity departments from 1979 to 1983. After this, from 1994 to 1997, she served as Honorary Assistant Teacher.
In 1997, she contested for the first time and was elected as councilor in Rairangpur district of Odisha. After this, she was also elected the Vice President of the Zilla Parishad. She contested the assembly elections in the year 2000. After being elected MLA from Rairangpur Assembly, she was made the Minister of State for Independent Charge in the BJD and BJP alliance government.
In 2002, Murmu was made the Minister of State for Fisheries and Animal Husbandry Department in the Odisha government. In 2006, she was made the state president of the BJP Scheduled Tribes Morcha. In 2009, she won the election on a BJP ticket for the second time from the Rairangpur Assembly. After this, she also contested the Lok Sabha elections in 2009, but could not win. In 2015, Draupadi was made the Governor of Jharkhand.
6 Records Set By Murmu
1. First tribal President: Although it should be added to two records, but we make it a little brief. Murmu is the first tribal in the country to reach the post of President. Till date, no President has been formed from tribal society. Not only this, Draupadi is a woman. Therefore, the record of being the first female tribal president will also be recorded in the name of Murmu.
2. First President born after independence: All the presidents made till date were born before independence i.e. before 1947. Draupadi Murmu is the first President to be born after independence. Murmu was born on 20 June 1958. The current President Ramnath Kovind was born two years before independence. His date of birth is October 1945.
3. The youngest President: 64 -year -old Draupadi Murmu will be the youngest President of the country. Before Murmu, this record was named after Neelam Sanjeev Reddy. When Reddy became President, he was 64 years and two months old. At the same time, when Murmu takes the oath, she will be 64 years and a month.
4. Second woman president: Draupadi Murmu will also record the record of being a second woman president. Pratibha Devi Singh Patil has been the President from 2007 to 2012 before Murmu. Pratibha Patil was the first woman President of the country.
5. First President from Odisha: Till date no President was made from Odisha. Draupadi Murmu will be the first President who hails from Odisha. Earlier, VV Giri was the President who was related to Odisha. Giri was born in Bahrampur of Madras Presidency, which is now in Odisha. However, Giri belonged to the Telugu family. His work place was Andhra Pradesh. He continued to become MP from here.